There’s a wealth of information out there on SEO, or search engine optimization. It’s not just about using key words in the right places any more. It’s much more involved and complicated. And while increased website traffic is good, assuming more visitors will lead to new business can be dangerous.
SEO companies abound, and if you’ve hired one, you should expect more than a discussion of key words and search rankings. We’d advise the following basics:
- Business objectives: Any SEO company you work with should take the initiative to learn the objectives of your business so that they can make sound recommendations on SEO methods.
- Current Internet presence: The company should do a thorough analysis of your internet presence, including not only your website, but also updated listings not only on the major sites like Google and Bing, but also Yelp, Yahoo, Yipit and the like.
- Linking Strategies: There should be a discussion about linking strategies, both internally on your site and externally to other sites – as well as inbound link from other sites.
- Optimization: A good SEO company will optimize your local geographic information, social media profiles and videos. It will also provide on-page and off-page content and tag optimization, and explain these optimization methods every step of the way.
- Content: Photos, videos, website copy and social media posts are all part of your content. Your SEO company should be recommending constant updates in all three areas to keep your site fresh and help it rank higher in searches. Good SEO companies will offer the option to provide or generate original content for you.
- Reporting: If your SEO company doesn’t offer reports at least monthly, don’t hesitate to ask for them. Not only can they open the door to a wealth of information about your website ranking, they can be used to implement necessary changes for improvement.
Perhaps more importantly, your SEO company should maintain a strong focus on the conversion factors and rates of your website and social pages, and offer regular suggestions for improving them. After all, converting website visitors into paying customers is what’s really most important, right? Your website and social pages are a dynamic part of your business, changing just as your business does periodically. Get the most from them by getting the most from your SEO company.
For more information on what to expect from your SEO company, or how to hire an SEO for your business, check out this video from Google’s Developer Programs Tech Lead, Maile Ohye.